Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Goodbye Canada; Hello Ethiopia!

Only five more days in Toronto before I'm on the plane! I can hardly believe it, after spending 4 years working towards this point.

I'm madly trying to check the last items off my to do list, accumulating student travel cards, firstaid kits, and traveller's cheques. I must admit that every once in a while there's also a frantic call to my mother!

I'll arrive in Addis Ababa on September 11th, which according to the Ethiopian calender is the start of the New Year. Already I've been invited to three parties by the friendly people in Addis that I've been in touch with! Ethiopia runs on the Julian calender, which has 13 months, unlike our 12 month one. So, when I arrive, we'll be celebrating the start of 1999. Hopefully there will be an interesting lead up to the Ethiopian Millennium while I'm there. I've already had a look at the site Ethiopian Millennium for an introduction.

This will be my last predeparture post from Toronto- next time I speak to you will be from Addis!

Kate

1 comment:

Jen said...

And today, your Mother sent you some anxious phone calls! Those will be the last - you are in the air enroute even as I write.

I loved the Ethiopian Millenium site, and all the general information it has on Ethiopia. I would have loved to have had information like that before I went to Iran. But I can see that if you have to stand up every time you are in the presence of an older Ethiopian, your legs may get pretty tired - or strong.

I know you will overall have a wonderful and exciting time, even if at times it may be frustrating. And, you will be one of the few people in the world who have celebrated the Millenium twice!